- T&J Original Spice or T&J Jerk spice for additional kick
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 can of beer
For the Chicken
- Rinse the chicken (inside and out) under cold running water, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season the chicken inside and out with either T&J Original Spice or T&J Jerk Spice and refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes or longer (even overnight) to dry the skin out, this will help achieve a super crispy chicken.
For the Grill
- Prepare your grill for indirect heat – do this by creating two heat zones: high and low. This allows your grill to cook like a convection oven, but still gives your food that distinct and smoky grill flavor.
- For a charcoal grill, stack coals on one side of the grill.
- For a gas grill, leave one burner turned off.
For the Beer
- Pick up two cans of your favorite beer
- Drink one-third of one can.
- Place the chicken on top of the open beer can, sliding the can up and into the cavity of the bird.
- Open second beer and continue drinking
- Position the chicken on the low-heat side of the grill (with no heat directly below the chicken),
- Use the beer can and legs to keep it upright.
- Close the lid and cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF at the meaty part of the leg, depending on the temperature of the grill this should take about 45 minutes.
- If you’re using charcoal, you may need to add more coals to maintain heat.
For Removing the Beer Can
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, carefully remove it from the grill.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board in an upright position, loosely tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift the chicken off the beer can, keeping the can upright to prevent the hot beer from spilling.
- Discard the beer, carve and serve.